Are you a therapist who would like to strengthen your skills with couples? Would you like to enrich your work by presenting cases as well as learn from other couples’cases, too? How about a consultation group that includes teaching segments, handouts and resources to further enhance your work with couples?
If so, this group is for you! And especially if…
- You have ventured out into private practice, where couples therapy consultations are not automatically provided.
- You would like to build on your strengths and discover your blind spots in your work (we all have them!)
- You would like to take powerful charge in your couples’ sessions verses feeling like a bystander to the couples’ distress
- You’re worried about the tricky cases that involve gray areas or confusing conundrums.
- You crave a safe and intimate connection with other clinicians while sharing knowledge and creating trustworthy relationships.
- You like the idea of most of the time spent on case consultation, while also receiving relevant tools, handouts and resources from colleagues and from Michelle’s 20+ years of experience of specializing in couples + immersion in learning from some of the top leading experts in couples therapy.
“I have consulted and received clinical consultation from Michelle for the last 2 years. She is a great teacher and has helped me navigate and solve problems with very challenging couples. She has also helped me strategize and make effective interventions. I have a deep respect and gratitude for her wisdom.” ~Jaye Moyer, LCSW-R
Whether you have been seeing couples for 3 or 30 years, you can learn from Michelle Joy, MFT and others in this group. Plus, exposure to new and different ideas and perspectives keeps our work relevant and innovative.
Additional benefits you will receive by joining our Couples Therapy Case Consultation Group:
- A Group Email List where you can get support for your cases and stay connected with each other in-between meetings, to create a broader sense of community.
- Rather than isolation, you will have a group of colleagues to lean on for your couples’ cases, even in-between meetings.
- We will do role plays where relevant, so that you can witness or experience implementing new strategies with your couples. We may also do small group exercises at times to practice applying new skills.
- Share and exchange interventions, resources, handouts and tools that we have found to be effective in couples’ work.
- Exposure to more professionals who may refer to you.
- Practice self-care by having a space to work through counter transference, and to discuss therapist identity/skill development with couples.
The group will be big enough to include a variety of therapeutic approaches, and yet small enough to create an intimate safe atmosphere, making it possible to disclose authentically.
How often will we meet, and when?
We will meet on certain Thursdays (outlined below), from 10 AM to 12 PM once per month, for 2 hours at a time, beginning in April, 2024.
What is the fee structure?
Group membership is $137 per month (with commitment of a 3 month bundle so that the group can have time to create cohesion). After 3 months, you may pay on a monthly basis.
It’s convenient… You can fit this Couples Therapy Consultation Group in-between your clients and from the comfort of your home or office!
We all get stuck in sometimes, and we all don’t see certain things with our clients,” says Grossman. “It is very helpful to get someone else’s perspective.”
Your fellow group members will share in, and add to, the joy of becoming the confident couples therapist you aspire to be. I hope you will join us!
*Please note this group is professional development, and not supervision.
Dates in 2024: April 4, May 2, June 6, July 18, August 8, September 5, October 3, November 14, December 12
Times: 10 AM to 12 PM
Where: Virtually, over Zoom
Cost: $137 per month, with a commitment to 3 months = $417 due now, and $137 per month thereafter
Contact [email protected] or call/text 650-485-1504 for more information.
ABOUT THE GROUP FACILITATOR: Michelle Joy, M.A., MFT has been affiliated with The Couples Institute in Menlo Park, CA (and now CICS), since 2002. A graduate in The Developmental Model of Couples Therapy – Advanced Level, Michelle is a go-to person on the Couples Institute staff for professional trainings. In addition to teaching advanced classes as well as providing consultations and trainings to therapists, Michelle has been a local and national speaker for several professional associations, including PESI.com and CAMFT, on how to help more couples using the Developmental Model. She also gets invited to teach expert classes in Dr. Ellyn Bader’s online course that reaches therapists all over the world. Michelle holds a private practice with mostly couples, as well as offers communication workshops to couples
Office located in Menlo Park, CA. Serving clients in Menlo Park, Redwood City, Atherton, Palo Alto, Burlingame, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Campbell, Los Altos, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Portola Valley